Skip to main content

tv   NBC News Special 2016 Presidential Debate 3  NBC  October 19, 2016 6:00pm-8:00pm MST

6:00 pm
hillary clinton is the most corrupt person ever to run for president. >> i'm really -- i really don't carewhat he says about me, but i will stand up by corrupt media pushing outright lies. >> when they go low, we go high. >> from nbc news, decision 2016, the final presidential debate.
6:01 pm
>> and good evening from las vegas. the third and final debate between hillary clinton and donald trump less than three minutes away. the back drop a day of surprise guest announce. s and campaign stunts. trump in need of game changing moment looking to rattle clinton before the debate gets under way. this is a presidential debate. we're here because there are serious issues to discuss and serious differences between i'm join by savannah guthrie, chuck todd and tom brokaw. >> so we're here in vegas, high stakes, the candidates will put it on the table tonight. this is the last time that either candidate gets a big national audience like this. and so they have a potential for a game-changer and donald trump needs a game-changer. he finds himself behind in the polls. think of where we were with the first debate. the one you moderated. he had brought this to be a very tight race. he's in a different situation tonight.
6:02 pm
long game for republicans. >> it is. this isn't just about trump needing a good night. if you're on the ballot underneath donald trump's name, you need him to have a good night. i talked to many republican strategists for the house and the senate campaigns, they said the bottom can fall out and the speaker ryan's job can be at stake. >> talk about >> she needs to not take the bait and we know she's not running as strong among the millennials. she has to be presidential. >> let's check out the spin room. what are you hearing, andrea mitchell? >> well, clinton debate coaches are very positive if anything i think they have probably overconfidence. they think if the debate turns to serious issues it favors her. if he should turn it into a circus with stunts, they think that she could look more
6:03 pm
>> all right, katie kur, you're watching the trump campaign. what are they saying tonight? >> well, they're going for spectacle over the substance, with nearly every operative says that the one thing that donald trump needs to do is tone it down and get back to the issues that matter to voters. lester? >> katy tur, after the debate. this third and final debate about to get under way. the moderator is chris wallace of fox news. he had a moment to greet the crowd here and admonish them about any clapping or anything else, but we are about to get under way, so let's take it down to podium and chris wallace. >> good evening from the thomas and mack center in las vegas. i'm chris wallace of fox news, i welcome you to the third and the final of the 2016 presidential
6:04 pm
state hillary clinton and donald j. trump. this debate is sponsored by the commission on presidential debates. the commission has designed the format. six roughly 15 minute segments with two minute answers to the first question. then open discussions for the rest of each segment. both campaigns have agreed to the rules. for the record, i decided the topics and the questions in each topic. none of those questions has been shared with the commission or the two candidates. has promised to remain silent. no cheers, boos, or other interruptions so we and you can focus on what the candidates have to say. no noise except right now, as we welcome the democratic nominee for president, secretary clinton and the republican nominee for
6:05 pm
secretary clinton, mr. trump, welcome. let's get right to it. the first topic is the supreme court. we -- you both talked briefly about the court in the last debate but i want to drill down on this because the next president will almost certainly have at least one appointment and likely or possibly two or three appointments, which means that you will in effect determine the balance of the court for what could be first of all, where do you want to see the court take the country and secondly, what's your view on how the constitution should be interpreted? do the founders' words mean what they say or is it a living document to be applied flexibly according to changing circumstances? in this segment, secretary clinton, you have two minutes. >> thank you very much, chris.
6:06 pm
i think when we talk about the supreme court it really raises the central issue in this election. namely what kind of country we going to be? what kind of opportunities will we provide for our citizens, what kind of rights will americans have. and i feel strongly that the supreme court needs to stand on the side of the american people. not on the side of the powerful corporations and the wealthy. r up on behalf of women's rights, on behalf of the rights of the lgbt community. that will stand up and say no to citizens united, a decision that has undermined the election system in our country because of the way it permits dark, unaccountable money to come in to our electoral system.
6:07 pm
others that will be before the supreme court. but i feel that at this point in our country's history, it is important that we not reverse marriage equality, that we not reverse roe vs. wade. that we stand up against citizens united. we stand up for the rights of people in the workplace that we stand up and basically say the supreme court should represent all of us. that's how i see the court and the kind of people that i would be l court. would be in the great tradition of standing up to the powerful, standing up on behalf of our rights as americans. and i look forward to having that opportunity. i would hope that the senate would do its job and confirm the nominee that president obama has sent to them. that's the way the constitution fundamentally should operate.
6:08 pm
the senate advises and consents or not, but they go forward with the process. >> secretary clinton, thank you. mr. trump, same question. where do you want to see the court take the country and how do you believe the constitution should be interpreted? >> well, first of all, it's great to be with you and thank you, everybody. the supreme court it's what it's all about. our country is so, so -- just so imperative that we have the right justices. something happened recently where justice ginsburg made some very, very inappropriate statements toward me and toward a tremendous number of people, many, many millions of people that i represent. and she was forced to apologize, and apologize she did. but these were statements that should never ever have been made. we need a supreme court that in my opinion is going to uphold the second amendment and all amendments but the second amendment which is under absolute siege. i believe if my opponent should win this race, which i truly
6:09 pm
have a second amendment which will be a very, very small replica of what it is right now. but i feel that it's absolutely important that we uphold because of the fact that it is under such trauma. i feel that the justices that i am going to appoint -- i have named 20 of them, the justices that i'm going to appoint will be pro ve bent. they will be protecting the second amendment. they are great scholars in all cases and they're people of tremendous respect. they will interpret the constitution the way the founders wanted it interpreted. and i believe that's very, very important. i don't think we should have justices appointed that decide what they want to hear. it's all about the constitution
6:10 pm
constitution the way it was meant to be. and those are the people that i will appoint. >> mr. trump, thank you. we now have about ten minutes for an open discussion. i want to focus on two issues that in fact by the justices that you name could end up changing the existing law of the land. first is one that you mentioned, mr. trump, guns. secretary clinton you said last year, let me quote, the supreme court is wrong amendment. now in fact in the 2008 heller case the court ruled there's a constitutional right to bear arms but a right that is reasonably limited. those were the words of the judge antonin scalia who wrote the decision. what's wrong with that? >> well, first of all, i support the second amendment. i lived in arkansas for 18 wonderful years. i represented upstate new york. i understand and respect the tradition of gun ownership.
6:11 pm
but i also believe that there can be and must be reasonable regulation. because i support the second amendment doesn't mean that i want people who shouldn't have guns to be able to threaten you, kill you or members of your family. and so when i think about what we need to do, we have 33,000 people a year who die from guns. i think we need comprehensive background checks, need to close the online loop hool. close the gun show loophole. the kind of reforms that would make a difference that are not in any way conflicting with the second amendment. you mentioned the heller decision. what i was saying that you referenced, chris, was that i disagreed with the way that the court applied the second amendment in that case. because what the district of columbia was trying to do was to
6:12 pm
guns to safely store them. and the court didn't accept that reasonable regulation, but they have accepted many others. so i see no conflict between saving people's lives and defending the second amendment. >> let me bring mr. trump in here. the bipartisan open debate coalition got millions of votes on questions to ask here, and this was in fact one of the top questions that they got. how will you ensure the second amendment is you just heard secretary clinton's answer. does she persuade you that while you may disagree on regulation, that in fact she supports a second amendment right to bear arms? >> well, the d.c. versus heller decision was very strongly and she was extremely angry about it. i watched. she was very, very angry when upheld and justice scalia was so involved. it was a well-crafted decision. but hillary was extremely upset. extremely angry and people that believe in the second amendment
6:13 pm
were very upset with what she had to say. >> well, let me bring in secretary clinton, were you extremely upset? >> well, i was upset because unfortunately, dozens of toddlers injure themselves, even kill people with guns because unfortunately, not everyone who has loaded guns in their homes takes appropriate precautions. but there's no doubt that i respect the second amendment, that i individual right to bear arranges. that not in conflict with sensible, common sense regulation and, you know, look, i understand that donald's been strongly supported by the nra, the gun lobby's on his side. they're running million of dollars of ads against me and i regret that what i would like to see is for people to come together and say, of course we're going to protect and defend the second amendment. but we're going to do it in a
6:14 pm
these 33,000 lives that we lose every year. >> let me bring mr. trump back into this. in fact, you oppose any limits on assault rifles, in limits on high capacity magazines. you support a national right to carry law. why, sir? >> well, let me just tell you before we go any further in chicago, which has the toughest gun laws in the united states probably you could say by far, they have more gun violence than any other city. so we have the toughest laws, and you have tremendous gun violence. i am a very strong supporter of the second amendment. i don't know if hillary was saying it in a sarcastic manner, but i'm proud to have the endorsement of the nra and it's the earliest endorsement they ever gave to anybody running for president. we are going to appoint justices -- this is the best way to help the second amendment. we are going to appoint justices that will feel very strongly
6:15 pm
second amendment. >> well, let's pick up on another issue which divides you and the justices that whoever ends up winning this election appoints could have a dramatic effect there and that's the issue of abortion. >> right. >> mr. trump, you're pro-life. i want to ask you specifically, do you want the court and including the justices that you will name to overturn roe vs. wade which includes in fact states a woman's right to abortion? >> well, iha appointing pro life judges, i would think that that will go back to the individual states. >> but i'm asking you specifically, would you -- >> if they overturned it will go back to the individual states. >> do you want to see the court to overturn -- you want to see the court protect the second amendment. do you want the court to overturn roe vs. wade? >> if we put another two or three justice on that's going -- that's what will happen.
6:16 pm
putting pro life justices on the court. i will say this. it will go back to the states and the states will then make a determination. >> secretary clinton? >> well, i strongly support roe vs. wade, which guarantees a constitutional right to a woman to make the most intimate, most difficult in many cases decisions about her health care that one can imagine. and in this case, it's not only about roe vs. wade. it is about what's happening right now in america. stringent regulations on women that block them from exercising that choice to the extent that they are defunding planned parenthood. which of course provides all kinds of cancer screenings and other benefits for women in our country. donald has said he's in favor of defunding planned parenthood and he supported shutting the government down to defund planned parenthood.
6:17 pm
parenthood. i will defend roe vs. wade and i will defend women's rights to make their own health care decisions and we have come too far to have that turned back now and indeed, he said women should be punished. that there should be some form of punishment for women who obtain abortions and i could just not be more opposed to that kind of thinking. >> i'm going to give you a chance to respond, but i want to ask you, secretary clinton, i want to explore how far you believe the right to abortion goes. you have been quoted as saying that the fetus has no constitutional rights. you also voted against a ban on late-term partial birth abortions. why? >> because roe vs. wade very clearly sets out that there can be regulations on abortion so long as the life and the health of the mother are taken into account. and when i voted as a senator, i did not think that that was the
6:18 pm
the end of pregnancy are often the most heart breaking, painful decisions for families to make. i have met with women who toward the end of their pregnancy get the worst news one could get. that their health is in jeopardy if they continue to carry to term or that something terrible has happened or just been discovered about the pregnancy. i do not think thete and making those most personal of decisions. so you can regulate if you are doing so with the life and the health of the mother taken into account. >> mr. trump, your reaction, and particularly on this issue of late term partial birth abortions. >> i think it's terrible if you do with what hillary is saying, in the ninth month you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother. just prior to the birth of the baby. now, you can say that that's
6:19 pm
but it's not okay with me. because based on what she is saying and based on where she's going and where she's been, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb. in the ninth month. on the final day. and that's not acceptable. >> well, that is not what happens in these cases and using that kind of scare rhetoric is just terribly unfortunate. you should meet with some of the women that ie course of my life. this is one of the worst possible choices that any woman and her family has to make. and i do not believe the government should be making it. you know, i have had the great honor of traveling across the world on behalf of our country. i have been to countries where governments either forced women to have abortions like they used to do in china. or forced women to bear children like they used to do in romania. and i can tell you the
6:20 pm
decisions that women make with their families in accordance with their faith, with medical advice. i will stand up for that right. >> all right. just briefly, i want to move on -- >> honestly, nobody has business doing what i just said, doing that as late as one or two or three or four days prior to birth. nobody has that. >> all right. let's move on to the subject of immigration. and there is almost no issue that separates the two of you more than the issue of immigration. tu you. mr. trump, you want to build a wall. secretary clinton, you have offered no specific plan for how you want to secure our southern border. mr. trump, you are calling for major deportations. secretary clinton, you say that within your first 100 days of president you're going to offer a package that includes a pathway to citizenship. the question really is why are you right and your opponent wrong? mr. trump, you go first in this segment.
6:21 pm
which is disaster and very unfair to those waiting in line for many years. we need strong borders. we have four mothers in the audience tonight -- i mean, these are unbelievable people that i have gotten to know over a period of years whose children have been killed, brutally killed by people that came into the country illegally. you have thousands of mothers and fathers and relatives all over the country, they're coming in illegally. drugs are border. we have no country if we have no border. hillary wants to give amnesty. she wants to have open borders. the borders -- the border patrol agent, 16,500 plus i.c.e. last week, endorsed me. first time they ever endorsed a candidate. it means their job is tougher but they know what's going on. they know it better than anybody. they want strong borders. they feel we have to have strong borders. i was up in new hampshire the other day, the biggest complaint they have -- it's with all of the problems going on in the world, many of the problems
6:22 pm
barack obama. all of the problems single biggest problem is heroin that pours across our southern border and it's destroying their youth. poisoning the blood of their youth and plenty of other people. we have to have strong borders. we have to keep the drugs out of our country. we are -- right now we're getting the drugs, they're getting the cash. we need strong borders. we need absolute -- we cannot give amnesty. now, i want to build the wall. we need the wall. they all want the wall. we stop the drugs, we shore up the border. one of my first acts will be to get all of the drug lords, all of the bad ones, we have bad, bad people in this country that have to go out. we're going to get them out, we're going to secure the border. and once the border is secured at a later date we'll make a determination as to the rest. but we have some bad hombres here and we're going to get them out. >> mr. trump, thank you. same question to you, secretary clinton.
6:23 pm
mr. trump is wrong? >> well, as he was talking i was thinking about a young girl i met here in las vegas, carla, who is very worried that her parents might be deported because she was born in this country. but they were not. they work hard, they do everything they can to give her a good life. and you're right. i don't want to rip families apart. i don't want to be sending parents away from children. i don't want to see the deportation force that donald has talked about in action in our country. we have 11 million undocumented people. they have 4 million american citizen children. 15 million people. he said as recently as a few weeks ago in phoenix that every undocumented person would be subject to deportation. now, here's what that means. it means you would have to have a massive law enforcement presence where law enforcement officers would be going school to school, home to home,
6:24 pm
and we would then have to put them on trains, on buses to get them out of our country. i think that is an idea that is not in keeping with who we are as a nation. i think it's an idea that would rip our country apart. i have been for border security for years. i voted for border security in the united states senate. and my comprehensive immigration reform plan of course but i want to put our resources where i think they're most needed. getting rid of any violent person, anybody who should be deported, we should deport them. when it comes to the wall that donald talks about building he went to mexico, he had a meeting with the mexican president. didn't even raise it. he choked. and then got into a twitter war because the mexican president said we're not paying for that wall. so i think we are both a nation of immigrants and we are a
6:25 pm
act accordingly and that's why i'm introducing comprehensive immigration reform within the first 100 days with the path to citizenship. >> thank you, secretary clinton. i want to follow -- >> chris, i think it's -- i think i should respond to that first of all, i had a very good meeting with the president of mexico. very nice man. we will be doing very much better with mexico on trade deal. the nafta deals signed by her husband is one of the worst of any kind, signed by anybody, it's a disaster. hillary clinton wanted the wall. hillary clinton fought for the wall in 2006. or thereabouts. now, she never gets anything done so naturally the wall wasn't built, but hillary clinton wanted the wall. >> well, let me -- sir -- >> we are a country of laws. by the way -- >> no, wait, i want to hear from -- i'd like to hear from secretary clinton. >> i voted for border security and there are --
6:26 pm
where that was appropriate. there's also necessarily going to be new technology and how best to deploy that. but it is clear when you look at what donald has been proposing, he started his campaign bashing immigrants. calling mexican immigrants rapists criminals and drug dealers, that he has a very different view about what we should do to deal with immigrants. now, what i am also arguing is that bringing undocumented immigrants out from the shadows, economy will be good because then employers can't exploit them and undercut americans' wages. donald used undocumented labor to build the trump towerment he underpaid workers and when they complain he basically said you complain, i'll get you deported. i want to get everybody out of the shadows. get the economy working. and not let employers like donald exploit undocumented workers which hurts them, but
6:27 pm
>> mr. trump? >> president obama has moved millions of people out. nobody knows about it, nobody talks about it, but under obama millions have been moved out of this country, has been deported. she doesn't want to say that, but that's what happened, and that's happened big league. as far as moving these people out and moving we -- we either have a country or we don't. we're a country of laws. we either have a border or we don't. you can come back in and you can become a citizen. but it's unfair. we have millions of did it the right way. they're on line, waiting. we're going to speed up the process big league, because it's inefficient. they're waiting in line to become citizens. very unfair that somebody runs across the border becomes a citizen under her plan you have open borders. you would have a disaster on trade and you would have a disaster with your open borders. but president obama has deported millions and millions of people just the way it is. >> secretary clinton --
6:28 pm
borders -- >> secretary clinton -- >> that's a rank mischaracterization. we'll have secure borders and we'll have perform. this used to be a bipartisan issue. ronald reagan was the last president -- to sign immigration reform and george w. bush supported it as well. >> secretary clinton, i want to clear up your position on this issue because in a speech you gave to a brazilian bank for which you were paid $225,000 we have learned from the wikileaks that youth market with open trade and open borders, so -- >> thank you. >> that's the question, please quiet, everybody. is that your dream, open borders? >> well, if you went on the read the rest of the sentence i was talking about energy. you know, we trade more energy with our neighbors than we trade with the rest of the world combined. i do want us to have a -- an electric grid and an energy system that crosses borders.
6:29 pm
but you are very clearly quoting from wikileaks and what's really important about wikileaks is that the russian government has engaged in espionage against americans. they have hacked american websites, american accounts of private people, of institutions. then they have given that information to wikileaks for the purpose of putting it on the internet. levels of the russian government. clearly, from putin himself, in an effort as 17 of our intelligence agencies have confirmed to influence our election. so i actually think the most important question of this evening, chris, is finally, will donald trump admit and condemn that the russians are doing this? and make it clear that he will
6:30 pm
russian espionage against americans, which he actually encouraged in the past. those are the questions we need answered. we'd never had anything like this happen in any of our elections before. >> that was a great pivot off the fact that she wants open border, how did we get on to putin? >> hold on -- wait. hold on, folks. because we -- this going to end up getting out of control. let's try to keep it quiet so -- for the candidates and for the american people. >> just to finish on t borders, she wants open borders. people are going to pour into our country. people are going to come in from syria. she wants 550% more people than barack obama and he has thousands and thousands of people. they have no idea where they come from. you see, we are going to stop radical islamic terrorism in this country. she won't even mention the words and neither will president obama. so i just want to tell you, she wants open borders now. we can talk about putin. i don't know putin.
6:31 pm
be good. if russia and the united states got along well and went after isis, that would be good. he has no respect for her. he has no respect for our president. and i'll tell you what, we're in serious trouble because we have a country with tremendous numbers of nuclear warheads, 1,800 by the way, where they expanded and we didn't. 1,800 nuclear warheads and she's playing chicken. look, see, has no respect for this person. >> well, that's a because he'd rather have a puppet as president. >> no puppet. no puppet. >> it's pretty clear -- >> you're the puppet. >> it's pretty clear that the russians have engaged in cyber attacks against the united states of america, that you encouraged espionage against our people. that you are willing to spout the putin line, sign up for his wish list, break up nato, do
6:32 pm
and that you continue to get help from him because he has a very clear favorite in this race. so i think that this is such an unprecedented situation. we never had a foreign government trying to interfere in our election. we have 17 -- 17 intelligence agencies, civilian and military, who have all concluded that these espionage attas, highest levels of the kremlin. and they are designed to influence our election. i find that deeply disturbing. and i think it's time -- >> she has no idea whether it's russia, china or anybody else. >> i'm not quoting myself. i'm quoting -- >> you have no idea. >> 17 -- do you doubt 17 military -- >> our country has no idea. >> well, he'd rather believe vladimir putin than the military
6:33 pm
professionals who are sworn to protect us. i find that just absolutely -- >> she doesn't like putin because putin use outsmarted her at every step of the way. excuse me. he's outsmarted her in syria. outsmarted -- >> i do get to ask some questions. >> yes, that's fine. >> i want to ask you this direct question. the top national security officials of this country do believe that russia has been behind these hacks. even if you don't know for sure whether they are, do you condemn any interference by russia in the american election? >> by russia or anybody else. >> you condemn their interference? >> of course i condemn. of course i -- i don't know putin. i have no idea. >> i'm asking you -- >> i never met putin. this is not my best friend, but if the united states got along with russia, wouldn't be so bad. let me tell you, putin has outsmarted her and obama at every single step of the way.
6:34 pm
missiles. take a look at a the start-up that they signed. the russians have said according to many reports i can't believe they allowed us to do this. they create warheads and we can't. the russians can't believe it. she has been outsmarted by putin and all you have to do is look at the middle east. they have taken over. we have spent $6 trillion, they have taken over the middle east. she has been outsmarted and outplayed, worse than anybody i have ever seen in any government whatsoever. >> we're a long way away from immigration, but i'm going to let you finish this you have 45 seconds. >> and she always will be. >> i find it ironic that he's raising nuclear weapons. this is a person who has been very cavalier, even casual about the use of nuclear weapons. >> wrong. >> he's advocated more countries getting them. japan, korea, even saudi arabia. he said if we have them, why don't we use them which i think is terrifying. the bottom line on nuclear weapons is that when the
6:35 pm
there's about four minutes between the order being given and the people responsible for launching nuclear weapons to d so. that's why ten people who have had that awesome authority and they said they would not trust donald trump with the nuclear codes or have to have his finger on the congressional medal of honor recipients. as far as japan, and other countries, we are being ripped off by everybody -- we're defending other countries. we are spending a fortune doing it. they have the bargain of the century. all i said is we have to renegotiate these agreements because our country cannot afford to defend saudi arabia, japan, germany, south korea and many other places. we cannot continue to afford -- she took that as saying, nuclear
6:36 pm
look, she's been proven to be a liar on so many different ways. this is just another lie. >> well, i'm just quoting you when -- >> there's no quote. you're not going to find a quote from me. >> nuclear competition in asia, you said, you know, go ahead, enjoy yourselves, folks. that kind -- >> and defend yourselves. >> well -- >> and defend yourselves. i didn't say nuclear. and defend yourself. >> the united states has kept the peace donald wants to tear up our alliances. i think it makes the world safer and frankly it makes the united states safer. i would work with our allies in asia, in europe, in the middle east and elsewhere. that's the only way we're going -- >> we are going to move on to the next topic, which is the economy. i hope we handle that as well as we did immigration. you also have very different ideas about how to get the
6:37 pm
secretary clinton, in your plan, government plays a big role. you see more government spending, more entitlements, more tax credits, more tax penalties. mr. trump, you want to get government out with lower taxes and less regulation. we're going to drill down into this more. but in this overview, please explain to me why you believe that your plan will create more jobs and growth for this country and your opponent's plan will not. in this secretary clinton. >> i think when the middle class thrives the economy thrives. so i'll give middle class families more opportunities. i want us to have the biggest jobs plan since world war ii, advanced manufacturing, i think we can compete with high-wage countries and i believe we should. new jobs and clean energy, not only to fight climate change which is a serious problem but to create new opportunities and
6:38 pm
small business. that's where two-thirds of the new jobs are going to come from. i want us to raise the national minimum wage because people who live in poverty should not -- who work full-time should not still be in poverty and i do want to make sure that women get equal pay for the work we do. i feel strongly that we have to have an education system that starts with preschool and goes through college. that's why i want more technical education and high schools and in community colle r people for the future. i want to make college debt free and for families making less than $125,000 you won't get a tuition bill from a college or university if the plan that i worked on with bernie sanders is enacted. we'll make sure it is, because we're going with the money is. most of the gains in the last years since the great recession have gone to the very top. so we are going to have the wealthy pay their fair share.
6:39 pm
they are now to our country. that is a plan that has been analyzed by independent experts which said that it could produce 10 million new jobs. by contrast, donald's plan has been analyzed to conclude it might lose 3.5 million jobs. why? because his whole plan is to cut taxes, to give the biggest tax breaks ever to the wealthy and to corporations. adding $20 trillion to our debt. and causing the kind o before because it will truly be trickle down economics on steroids. so the plan i have i think will produce greater opportunities. the plan he has will cost us jobs and possibly lead to another great recession. >> secretary, thank you. mr. trump, why will your plan create more jobs and growth than click? >> first of all, her plan will
6:40 pm
she can say all she wants about college tuition, and i'm a big proponent, we're going to do a lot of things for college tuition. but the rest of the public's going to be paying for it. we will have a massive, massive tax increase under hillary clinton's plan. but i'd like to start off where we left. because when i said japan and germany and i'm not just singling them out, south korea, these are very rich, powerful countries. saudi arabia. nothing but money. we protect saudi arabia. why aren't they paying? she immediately when she heard her, i questioned it and i questioned nato. why aren't they paying? because they weren't paying. since did this, this was a year ago. all of a sudden, they're paying. i have been given a lot of credit for it. all of a sudden, they're starting to pay up. they have to pay up. we're protecting people, they have to pay up. and i'm a big fan of nato. but they have to pay up. she comes out and said, we love our allies, we think our allies are great. well, it's awfully hard to get
6:41 pm
somebody saying, we think how great they are. we have to tell japan in a nice way and germany, all of these country, south korea, we have to say, you have to help us out. we have during his regime, during president obama's regime, we have doubled our national debt. we're up to $20 trillion. so my plan we're going to renegotiate trade deals. we'll have free trade. we have horrible deals jobs are being taken out by the deal her husband signed, nafta, one of the worst deals ever. our jobs are being sucked out of our economy. you look at all of the places that i just left, you go to pennsylvania, go to ohio, you go to florida. you go to any of them. you go upstate new york. our jobs have fled to mexico and other places. we're bringing the jobs back. i'm going to renegotiate nafta. i if i can't make a -- if i can't make a great deal, we'll create new deals. we'll have trade. but we're going to terminate it, we'll make a great trade deal. if we can't, we'll do it --
6:42 pm
we are going to cut taxes massively. going to cut business taxes massively. they're going to start hiring people. we're going to bring in the 2.5 million off shore. right now our country is dying at 1% gdp. >> let me translate that if i can. >> you can't. >> he's going to advocate for the larg ever seen. three times more than the tax cuts under the bush administration. i have said repeatedly throughout this campaign, i will not raise taxes on anyone making $250,000 or less. i also will not add a penny to the debt. i have costed out what i'm going to do. he will through his massive tax cuts add $20 trillion to the debt. well, he mentioned the debt. we know how to get control of the debt. when my husband was president,
6:43 pm
deficit to a $200 billion surplus and we were on the path to eliminating the national debt. when president obama came into office, he inherited the worst economic disaster since the great depression. he has cut the deficit by two-thirds. so yes, one of the ways you go after the debt, one of the ways you create jobs is by investing in people. so i do have investments, investments in new jobs. investments in education. skill training, and the opportunities op that's the kind of approach that will work. cutting taxes on the wealthy, we have tried that. it has not worked the way that it has been -- >> secretary clinton, i want to pursue your plan, because in many ways it is similar to the obama stimulus plan in 2009. which has led to the slowest gdp growth since 1949. >> correct.
6:44 pm
you told me in july when we spoke that the problem is that president obama didn't get to do enough in what he was trying to do with this stimulus. so is your plan basically more -- even more of the obama stimulus? >> well, it's a combination, chris. let me say that when you inherit the level of economic catastrophe that president obama inherited, it was a real touch and go situation. i was in the senate before i became secretary of state. i have never seen physically distraught as the bush administration team was because of what was happening to the economy. i personally believe that the steps that president obama took saved the economy. he doesn't get the credit he deserves for taking some very hard positions. but it was a terrible recession. so now we've dug ourselves out of it, we're standing, but we're not yet running. so what i am proposing is that
6:45 pm
and the ground up. not the top down. that is not going to work. that's why what i have put forward doesn't add a penny to the debt. but it is the kind of approach that will enable more people to take those new jobs, higher paying jobs. we are beginning to see some increase in incomes and we certainly have had a long string of increasing jobs. we have got to do more to get the whole economy moving and that's what i believe >> mr. trump, even conservative economists who have looked at your plan say that the numbers don't add up, that your idea and you have talked about 25 million jobs created, 4% -- >> over a ten-year period. >> -- growth is unrealistic. they say -- you talk about growing the energy industry. they say with oil prices as low as they are right now that's unrealistic right now. your response? >> so i just left some high
6:46 pm
china is growing at 7% and that for them is a catastrophically low number. we are growing our last report came out, and it's right around the 1% level and i think it's going down. last week as you know, the end of last week, they came out with an anemic jobs report. terrible jobs report. in fact i said, is that the last jobs report before the election? because if it is, i should win easily. it was so bad. the report look, our country is stagnant. we have lost our jobs. we have lost our businesses. we're not making things anymore. relatively speaking. our product is pouring in from china, pouring in from vietnam, all over the world. i've visited so many communities. this is is an incredible education for me, chris. i have gotten to know so many, i have many friends over the last year. they cry when they see what happened. i pass factories that were
6:47 pm
because of the bill that her husband signed and she blessed 100%, it is just horrible what's happened to these people in these communities. now, she can say that her husband did well, but boy did they suffer as nafta kicked because it didn't kick in very much, but it kicked in after they left. boy, did they suffer. that was one of the worst things that's ever been signed by our country. now she wants to sign transpacific partnerships. she the gold standard in one of the debates she totally lied and they fact checked and said i was right. >> i want you to speak to that, and then it to pivot -- >> that will be as bad as nafta. >> briefly. >> first, let me say number one, when i saw the final agreement for tpp i said i was against it. it didn't meet my test. i have had the same test.
6:48 pm
against it now, after the election and after i'm president. there's only one who's shipped jobs to mexico, that's donald. he's shipped jobs to 12 countries including mexico. he mentioned china and one of the biggest problems we have is the illegal dumping of steel and aluminum in our markets. i have fought against that as a senator. i have stood up against it as secretary of state. donald has bought chinese steel and aluminum. in fact, the trump hotel right here in las vegas was made w so he goes around with crocodile tears about how terrible it is, but he's given jobs to chinese steelworkers, not american steelworkers. that's the kind of approach that is just not going to work. we're going to pull the country together, we're going to have trade agreements that we enforce. that's why i'm going to have trade prosecutor for the first time in history and we're going to enforce those agreements and we're going to look for businesses -- >> secretary clinton --
6:49 pm
>> i ask a simple question. she's been doing this for 30 years. why the hell didn't you do it over the last 15 or 20 years? -- excuse me, my turn. you were involved in every aspect of this country. very much. you do have experience. i say the one thing you have over me is experience but it's bad experience because what you have done has turned out badly. you have been in a position to help, and you say i use steel or something else, i make it impossible -- you make it impossible for me to do that. the problem is you talkt hillary. you don't. just like when you ran the state department. $6 billion was missing. how do you miss $6 billion? you ran the state department. $6 billion was either stolen, they don't know. it's gone. $6 billion. if you become president, this country is going to be in some mess, believe me. >> well, first of all, what he just said about the state
6:50 pm
it's been debunked numerous times. but he raised the 30 years of experience, so let me just talk briefly about that. you know, back in the 1970's i, worked for the children's defense fund. i was taking on discrimination against african-american kids in school and he was getting sued for racial discrimination in his apartment buildings in the 1980s i was working to reform the schools in arkansas. from his father to start his businesses. in the 1990s i went to beijing and i said, women's rights are human rights. he insulted a former miss universe alicia machado, called her an eating machine. >> give me a break. >> on the day when i was in the situation room, monitoring the raid that brought osama bin laden to justice, he was hosting the celebrity apprentice. i'm happy to compare my 30 years of experience, what i have done
6:51 pm
kids and families get ahead and stay ahead with your 30 years, and i'll let the american people make that decision. >> well, i think i did a much better job, i build a massive company, a great company, some of the greatest assets anymore in the world, worth many billions of dollars. i started with a $1 million loan. i agree with that. but i built a phenomenal country and if we could run the way i run my company, you would even be proud of it. and frankly, when you look at her real record, take a look at syria. take a look at the migration. take a look at libya. take a look at iraq. she gave us isis because her and obama created this huge vacuum and a small group came out of that huge vacuum because when -- we should never have been in iraq, but once we were there we should have never got out the
6:52 pm
what happened now isis is in 32 countries, and now i listen how she's going to get rid of isis. she's going to get rid of nobody. >> all right. we are going to get to foreign hot spots in a few moments but the next segment is fitness to be president of the united states. mr. trump, you said your talk about grabbing women was just that -- talk. and that you never had done it. since then as we all know, nine women have come forward said that you either groped them or kissed them without their consent. why would so many different women from so many different circumstances over so many different years, why would they all in this last couple of weeks make up -- you deny this, why would they make up these stories since this a question for both of you, secretary clinton, mr. trump says what your husband did and that you defended was even worse.
6:53 pm
>> well, first of all, those stories have been largely debunked. those people i don't know those people. i have a feeling how they came. i believe it was her campaign that did it. just like if you look at what came out today on the clips where i was wondering what happened with my rally in chicago and other rallies where we had such violence? she's the one and obama that caused the violence. they hired people, they paid them $1,500 and they're on tape saying, be vi fights, do bad things. i would say the only way -- because those stories are all totally false, i have to say that. and i didn't even apologize to my wife who is sitting right here, because i didn't do anything. i didn't know any of these women. i didn't see these women. these women -- the woman on the plane, i think they want either fame or her campaign did it. i think it's her campaign. because what i saw what they did, which is a criminal act by
6:54 pm
i'll tell you what, in particular -- particularly in chicago people were hurt and people could have been killed in that riot. and that was now all on tape, started by her. i believe, chris, that she got these people to step forward. if it wasn't, they get their ten minutes of fame. but they were all totally -- it was all fiction. it was lies and it was fiction. >> well -- >> secretary clinton. >> at the last debate, we heard donald talking about what he to women and after that a number of women have come forward saying that's exactly what he did to them. now, what was his response? well, he held a number of big rallies where he said that he could not possibly have done those things to those women because they were not attractive enough for --
6:55 pm
>> -- to be assaulted. >> i did not they. >> in fact, he went on -- >> her two minutes -- sir, her two minutes. her two minutes. >> he went on the say, look at her. i don't think so. about another woman, he said that wouldn't be my first choice. he attacked the woman reporter writing the story. called her disgusting as he's called a number of women during this campaign. donald thinks belittling women makes him bigger. he goes after their dignity, their think there is a woman anywhere who doesn't know what that feels like. so we now know what donald thinks and what he says and how he acts toward women. that's who donald is. i think it's really up to all of us to demonstrate who we are and who our country is. and to stand up and be very clear about what we expect from our next president. how we want to bring our country
6:56 pm
where we don't want to have the kind of pitting of people, one against the other, where instead we celebrate our diversity. we lift people up. and we make our country even greater. america is great because america is good. and it really is up to all of us to make that true, now and in the future and particularly for our children and our grandchildren. m women than i do. nobody. nobody has more respect -- >> please, everybody. >> and frankly, the stories have been largely debunked and i really want to just talk about something slightly different. she mentions this, which is all fiction, all fictionalized, probably or possibly started by her and her sleazy campaign.
6:57 pm
fictionalized are her e-mails where she destroyed 33,000 e-mails criminally, criminally, after getting a subpoena from the united states congress. what happened to the fbi i don't know. we have a great general, four-star general, today you read it in all of the papers going to potentially serve five years in jail for lying to the fbi. one lie, she's lied hundreds of times to the people, to congress, and to the fbi. he's going to probably go to jail. this is a four-star general and she gets away with it, and she can run for the presidency of the united states? that's really what you should be talking about. not fiction where somebody wants fame or where they come out of her crooked campaign. >> secretary clinton? >> well, every time donald is
6:58 pm
what these women are saying, he immediately goes to denying responsibility and it's not just about women. he never apologizes or says he's sorry for anything. so we know what he has said and what he's done to women. but he also went after a disabled reporter, mocked and mimicked him on national television. >> wrong. >> he went after mr. and mrs. kh who died serving our country, a gold star family because of their religion. he went after john mccain, a prisoner of war said he prefers people who aren't captured. he went after a federal judge, born in indiana, but who donald said couldn't be trusted to try the fraud and racketeering case against trump university because his parents were mexican. so it's not one thing.
6:59 pm
dangerous vision of our country. where he incites violence, where he applauds people who are pushing and pulling and punching at his rallies. that is not who america is. and i hope that as we move in the last weeks of this campaign, more and more people will understand what's at stake in this election. it really does comeow have. >> so sad when she talks about violence at my rallies and she caused the violence. it's on tape. >> during the -- >> the other things are false, but honestly i'd love to talk about getting rid of isis and i'd love to talk about other things but those other charges as she knows are false. >> in this bucket about fitness to be president there's been a lot of developments over the last ten days since the last debate. i'd like to ask you about them. these are questions that the
7:00 pm
secretary clinton, during your 2009 senate confirmation hearing you promised to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest with your dealing with the clinton foundation while secretary of state but donors got special access to you. those seeking haiti relief were considered separately from nondonors and some got taxpayer money. can you say you kept your pledge to the senate committee and what went on you two -- why isn't it what mr. trump calls pay to play? >> everything i did as secretary of state was in furtherance of our country's interests and our values. the state department has said that. i think that's been proven, but i am happy, in fact i'm thrilled to talk about the clinton foundation because it's a world renowned charity and i am so proud of the work that it does. you know, i could talk for the
7:01 pm
but just briefly, the clinton foundation made it possible for 11 million people around the world with hiv aids to afford treatment that's about half all the people getting treatment. in partner with the american health association we have made environments in schools -- >> secretary clinton, this is an open discussion. and t >> i think -- look, i think -- >> let's ask -- >> it's been well studied. it's criminal enterprise that -- >> please let mr. trump speak. >> it's a -- saudi arabia gaving $25 million, qatar, all of these countries. er you talk about women and women's rights. so these are people that push gays off buildings. these are people that kill women
7:02 pm
so i'd like to ask you right now, why don't you give back the money that you have taken from certain countries that treat certain groups of people so horribly? why don't you give back the money? i think it would be a great gesture because she takes a tremendous amount of money. you take a look at the people of haiti. i was at a little haiti the other day in florida. and i want to tell you, they hate the clintons. because what's happened in haiti with the clinton fouat disgrace. and you know it, and they know it, and everybody knows it. >> secretary clinton? >> very quickly, we at the clinton foundation spend 90% -- 90% of all the money that is donated on behalf of programs to people around the world and in our own country. i'm very proud of that. we have the highest rating from the watchdogs that follow foundations and i'd be happy to compare what we do with the trump foundation which took money from other people and
7:03 pm
donald. i mean, who does that? i mean, it was astonishing. but when it comes to haiti, haiti is the poorest country in our hemisphere. the earthquake and the hurricanes, it has devastated haiti. the clinton foundation raised $30 million to help haiti after the catastrophic earthquake and all of the terrible problems that people there had. we have done things to help small businesses, agriculture d help haiti because it's an important part of the american -- >> they don't want you to help them anymore. i want to mention one thing. trump foundation, people contribute, i contribute. the money goes 100% goes to different charities including a lot of military. i don't get anything. i don't buy boats, i don't buy planes. what happens the money -- >> wasn't some of the money used to settle your lawsuits, sir? >> no. we put up the american flag.
7:04 pm
they put up the american flag. we fought for the right in palm beach to put up the american flag. >> right. there was a penalty that was imposed by palm beach county -- >> and they build houses, the money you're talking about went to fisher house where they build houses for veterans and disabled -- >> i want to get in -- >> of course no way if we can know that's true, because he hasn't released his tax returns. he's the first candidate for president in the last 40-plus years who has not released his tax returns some everything he says about charity or anything else, we can't prove it. you can look at our tax returns. we've got them all out there. but what is really troubling is that we learned in the last debate he has not paid a penny in federal income tax. and we were talking about immigrants a few minutes ago, chris. you know, half of all immigrants -- undocumented immigrants in our country actually pay federal income tax.
7:05 pm
immigrants in america who are paying more federal income tax than a billionaire. i find that -- >> let me just tell you -- >> astonishing. >> we're entitled because the people like her passed to take massive amounts of depreciation on other charges and we do it. just about all of the donors i know buffett took hundreds of millions of dollars, george soros, took hundreds of millions of dollars -- most of her donors have done the same thing as i do. >> okay. >> you know what she should have done -- you should have changed the law when you were a senator because your donors and your special interests are doing the same thing as i do, except even more so. you should have changed the law. but you won't change the law because you take in so much money. i mean, i sat in my apartment today on a very beautiful hotel down the street -- >> made with chinese steel. >> but i'll tell you, i sat
7:06 pm
all paid for by your friends on wall street that gave so much money because they know you're going to protect them and frankly, you should have changed -- you don't like what i did, you should have changed the laws. >> mr. trump, i want to ask you one last question in this topic. you have been warning at rallies recently that this election is rigged and that hillary clinton is in the process of trying to steal it from you. your running mate governor pence, his word, you and he will absolutely accept the result of this election. today your daughter ivanka said the same thing. i want to ask you on the stage tonight, do you make the same commitment, sir, that you will absolutely accept the result of this election? >> i will look at it at the time. i'm not looking at anything right now. what i have seen -- what i have seen is so bad.
7:07 pm
dishonest and so corrupt and the pile-on is so amazing. "the new york times" actually wrote an article about it, but they don't even care. it's so dishonest, they have poisoned the mind of the voters but unfortunately for them, i think the voters are seeing through it. i think they're going to see through it. we'll find out on november 8th. excuse me, chris, if you look at your voter rolls you will see millions of people that are registered to millions, this isn't coming from me. this is coming from pew report and other places and millions of people that are registered to vote that shouldn't be registered to vote. so let me just give you one other thing. so i talk about the corrupt media. i talk about the millions of people -- tell you one other thing. she shouldn't be allowed to run. it's crooked -- she's guilty of a very, very serious crime. she should not be allowed to run.
7:08 pm
because she should never -- chris, she should never have been allowed to run for the presidency based on what she did with e-mails and so many other things. >> but sir, there's a tradition in this country, in fact, one of the prides of this country is that peaceful transition of power and that no matter how hard fought a campaign is, that at the end of the campaign that the loser concedes to the winner. not saying that you're necessarily going to be the loser or the winner. but that the loser concedes to the winner and that comes together in part for the good of the country. are you saying you're not prepared now to -- >> what i'm saying is that i will tell you at the time. i'll keep you in suspense. >> chris, let me respond to that because that's horrifying. you know, every time donald thinks things are not going in his direction, he claims whatever it is is rigged against him. the fbi conducted a year-long investigation into my e-mails. they concluded there was no case. he said the fbi was rigged. he lost the iowa caucus, he lost
7:09 pm
was rigged against him. then trump university gets sued for fraud and racketeering. he claims the court system and the federal judge is rigged against him. there was even a time when he didn't get an emmy for his tv program three years in a row. he started tweeting that the emmys were rigged against him. >> should have gotten it. >> this is a mindset. this is how donald thinks. and it's funny, but >> okay. >> so that is not the way our democracy works. we have been around for 240 years. we have had free and fair elections, we have accepted the outcomes when we may not have liked them and that's expected of anybody stand on a debate stage during a general election. you know, president obama said the other day when you're whining before -- >> hold on, folks. hold on, folks. >> -- it just shows you're not
7:10 pm
and let's be clear about what he is saying and what that means. he is denigrating, he's talking down our democracy. and i for one am appalled that somebody who is the nominee of one of our two major parties would take that kind of position. >> i think what the fbi did and what the department of justice did including meeting with her husband, the attorney general, in the back of an airplane on the tarmac in arizona, i think it's disgraceful. i think it's a disgrace. >> all right. >> i think we never had a situation -- >> hold on, folks. this doesn't do any good for anyone. let's please continue the debate and let's move on to the subject of foreign hot spots. the iraqi offensive to take back mosul has begun. if they are successful in pushing isis out of that city and out of all of iraq, the question then becomes what happens the day after? that's something that which ever
7:11 pm
you ends up as president has to confront. will you put u.s. troops into that vacuum to make sure that isis doesn't come back or isn't replaced by something even worse? secretary clinton, you go first in this segment. you have two minutes. >> well, i am encouraged that there is some effort led by the iraqi army, supported by kurdish forces and also given the help and advice from the number of special forces but i will not support putting american soldiers into iraq as an occupying force. i don't think that is in our interest and i don't think that would be smart to do. in fact, chris, i think that would be a big red flag waving for isis to reconstitute itself. the goal here is to take back mosul. it will be a hard fight. i have got no allusions about
7:12 pm
into syria to begin to take back and move on raqqah which is the isis headquarters. i am hopeful that the hard work that american military advisers have done will pay off. and that's -- that we will see a real -- a really successful military operation. but we know we've got lots of work to do. syria will remain a hot bed of terrorism as long as the civil war aided and abetted by the iranians and the russians continue. i have said, look, we need to keep our eye that's why i want to have an intelligence surge that protects us here at home. why we have to go after them from the air, on the ground, online. why we have to make sure here at home we don't let terrorisms buy weapons if you're too dangerous to fly, you're too dangerous to buy a gun. i'm going to continue to push for a no fly zone and safe havens within syria. not only to help protect the syrians and prevent the constant
7:13 pm
frankly gain some leverage on both the syrian government and the russians so that perhaps we can have the serious negotiation necessary to bring the conflict to an end and go forward on a political track. >> mr. trump, same question. if we are able to push isis out of mosul and out of iraq, will -- would you be willing to put u.s. troops in there to prevent their return or something else? >> let me tell you, mosul is so sad. we had mosul. everybody out, we lost mosul. now we're fighting again to get mosul. the problem with mosul and what they wanted to do they wanted to get the leaders of isis who they felt were in mosul. about three months ago, i started reading that they want to get the leaders. and they're going to attack mosul. what ever happened to the element of surprise? okay? we announce we're going after mosul. i have been reading about going
7:14 pm
these people have all left. they have all left. the element of surprise. douglas macarthur, george patton, spinning in their graves when they see the stupidity of our country. so we're now fighting for mosul that we had. all she had to do was stay there and now we're going in again. do you know who the big winner in mosul is going to be after we as a result get it and the only reason they did it is because she's running for the office of president. they want to look tough. they want to look good. violated the red line in the sand and he made so many mistakes. made all the mistakes that's why we have the great migration, but she wanted to look good for the election. so they're going in. but who's going to get mosul really? we'll take mosul eventually. but the way -- by the way, much more tougher than they thought. but leaders we wanted to get are all gone. what do we need this for?
7:15 pm
wonderful thing and iran should write us a letter of thank you, just like the stupidest of all time, a deal that will give iran absolutely nuclear weapons. iran should write us yet another letter saying thank you very much. because iran as i said many years ago iran is taking over iraq. something they have wanted to do forever but we have made it so easy for them. so we're going to take mosul and do you know who's going to be the beneficiary? iran. oh, yeah, they're -- i mean, you're not there, you might be involved in that decision. but you were there when you took everybody out of mosul and out of iraq. you shouldn't have been in iraq, but you did vote for it. you shouldn't have been in iraq, but once you were in iraq you should have never left the way. >> your two minutes are up. >> the point is -- iran. >> you know, once again, donald is implying that he didn't support the invasion of iraq.
7:16 pm
he has consistently denied what is -- >> wrong. >> -- a very clear fact that before the invasion, he supported it. you know, i just want everybody to go google it. google trump iraq, you will see the dozens of sources which verify that he was for the invasion of iraq. >> wrong. >> and you can actually hear the audio of him saying that. why does that matter? because he truth about that position. i guess he beliefs -- believes it makes him look better to contrast against me here. it's important to understand the interplay. mosul is a sunni city and on the border of syria and we need to go after baghdadi, just like we went after bin laden. while you were doing "celebrity apprentice" and we brought him to justice. we need to go after the
7:17 pm
rid of them, get rid of their fighters, their estimated several thousand fighters in mosul. they have been digging underground. they have been prepared to defend. it's going to be tough fighting but i think we can take back mosul and then move on into syria and take back raqqah. this is what we have to do. i'm just amazed that he seems to think that the iraqi government and our allies and everybody else launched the attack on mosul to help me in this election. but that's how donald thinks. always looking for something -- >> chris, we don't gain anything. iran is taking over iraq. >> secretary clinton -- >> iran is taking over iraq. we don't -- >> secretary clinton -- >> we would have -- >> wait wait wait. secretary clinton, it's an open discussion. >> they did -- >> secretary, please let mr. trump speak. >> no, you're unfit. you know, wikileaks just came
7:18 pm
horrible things about you, and boy, was he right. he said some beauties and you know bernie sanders he said you have bad judgment. you do. if you think that going in to mosul after we let the world know we're going in, and all of the people that we really wanted -- the leaders, they're all gone, if you think that was good, then you do. now, john podesta said you have terrible instincts and bernie sanders said you have bad judgment and i agree with both. >> you should ask bernie sanders who >> which is a big mistake. >> he's campaigning around the country, and he said you're the most dangerous president to do run in the united states. and i agree with him. >> i were both asked about the syrian city of aleppo and i want to follow up on that because you said several things in that debate, which were not true, sir.
7:19 pm
basically fallen. in fact, there are -- >> it's a catastrophe. >> it's a catastrophe. >> have you seen it? have you seen it? have you seen what's happened to aleppo? >> sir, can i finish my question? >> so it's not fallen. take a look at what's happening. >> there are many people being slaughtered. >> they're being slaughtered because of bad decisions. >> if i may finish. you have said that syria and russia are busy fighting . who have been bombing and shelling eastern aleppo and they just announced a humanitarian pause, in effect admitting they have been bombing and shelling aleppo. do you want to clear that up? >> aleppo has fallen from the -- from any standpoint. what do you want, a signed document? it's so sad when you see what's happened. a lot of this is because of hillary clinton.
7:20 pm
fighting assad, who turned out to be a lot tougher than she thought, and now she's going to say oh he loves assad, he's just much tougher and much smarter than her and obama and everyone thought he was gone two years ago, three years ago. he aligned with russia. he now aligned with iran who we made powerful. we gave them $150 billion back. we give them $1.7 billion in cash. i mean, cash. bundles of cash as big as this stage. we gave them $1.7 billion. now they have -- he has aligned with russia and with iran. they don't want isis, but they have other things because we're backing -- we're backing rebels. which don't know -- we don't know who the rebels are. we're giving them lots of money, lots of everything. we don't know who the rebels are and when and if -- it's not
7:21 pm
but if they ever did overthrow assad -- he's a bad guy, but a you may end up with worse than assad. if she did nothing, we'd be in much better shape. this is what's caused the great migration where she's taking in tens of thousands of syrian refugees who probably in many cases -- not probably, who are definitely in many cases isis aligned and we now have them in our country see -- this is going to be the great trojan horse. wait till you see what happens in the coming years. lots of luck, hillary. thanks a lot for doing a great job. >> secretary clinton, you have talked about in the last debate and again today you would impose a no fly zone to try to protect the people of aleppo and stop the killing there. president obama has refused to do that because he fears it will draw us closer or deeper into
7:22 pm
dunford, the chairman of the joint chief of staffs says you impose a no fly zone, chances are you'll get into a war -- his words, with syria and with russia. so the question i have is if you impose a no fly zone, first of all, how do you respond to their concerns? secondly, if you impose a no fly zone and a russian plane violates that, does president clinton shoot that plane down? >> first of all, i think the no fly zone can save lives and hasten the end of the conflict you have expressed from both the president and the general. this would not be done just on the first day. this would take a lot of negotiation and we'd -- and it would take making it clear to the russians and the syrians that our purpose is to provide safe zones on the ground. we have had millions of people leave syria. and those millions of people inside syria who have been dislocated. so i think we could strike a deal and make it very clear to the russians and the syrians
7:23 pm
believe was in the best interest of the people on the ground in syria. it would help us with our fight against isis. but i want to respond to what donald said about refugees. he's made these claims repeatedly. i'm not going to let anyone into this country who is not vetted, who we do not have confidence in. but i'm not going to slam the door on women and children. that picture of that little 4-year-old boy in aleppo with the blood coming down his face while he sat in an ambulan haunting. and so we are going to do very careful, thorough vetting. that does not solve our internal challenges with isis. and our need to stop radicalization. to work with american muslim communities who are on the front lines to identify and prevent attacks. in fact, the killer of the dozens of people at the nightclub in orlando, the pulse nightclub, was born in queens.
7:24 pm
threat is and how we are best going to be able to meet it. and yes, that emanates from syria and iraq, and i'll defeat isis and we have to up our game and defeat them at home. >> i want to -- >> she will defeat isis. we shouldn't have let it happen in the first place and they're in 32 countries. wait they had -- they had a cease-fire three weeks ago. a cease-fire, the united states, russia, syria. and during the cease-fire russia took over vast swatches of land and then said we don't want the cease-fire anymore. we are so outplayed on missiles, on cease-fires. they are outplayed. she wasn't there i assume she had nothing to do with it. but our country is so outplayed by putin and by assad and by the way, by iran.
7:25 pm
our leadership is. >> mr. trump, secretary clinton, no, we need to move on to our final segment. that is the national debt which has not been discussed until tonight. our national debt is a share of the economy, our gdp, is now 77%. that's the highest since just after world war ii. but the nonpartisan committee for responsible for federal budget says secretary clinton, under your plan, debt would rise to years. mr. trump under your plan, they say it would rise to 105% of gdp over the next ten years. the question is, why are both of you ignoring this problem? mr. trump, you go first. >> i said because i'm going to create tremendous jobs and we're bringing gdp from really 1% which is what it is now, and if she got in it would be less than zero. but we're bringing it from 1% up to 4%.
7:26 pm
i think you can go to 5% or 6%. if we do, you don't have to bother asking your question. because we have a tremendous machine. we will have created a tremendous economic machine once again. to do that we're taking back jobs. we're not going to let our companies be raided by other countries. we don't make our product anymore. it's very sad. but i'm going to create a -- the kind of a country that we were from the standpoint of we have given it up. we have become very, very sloppy. we have had people that are political hacks making the biggest deals in the world. bigger than companies. you take the big companies, these trade deals are far bigger than the companies and yet we don't use the great leaders many of whom back me and many of whom back hillary. we don't use those people. they're the greatest negotiators in the world. we have to use them to negotiate
7:27 pm
we use people that get the position because they gave -- they made a campaign contribution. they're dealing with china and people that are very much smarter than they are. we have to use our great people. but that being said, we will create an economic machine the likes of which we haven't seen in many decades. and people, chris, will again go back to work and they'll make a lot of money. and will have companies that ro from new. >> secretary clinton? >> well, first, when i hear donald talk like that and know that his slogan is make america great again i wonder when he thought america was great, and before he rushes and says, you know, before you and president obama were there i think it's important to recognize that he has been criticizing our government for decades.
7:28 pm
york times" during the time when president reagan was president, and basically said exactly what he just said now. that we were the laughingstock of the world. he was criticizing president reagan. this is the way donald thinks about himself. puts himself into you know, the middle and says, you know, i alone can fix it as he said on the convention stage. but if you look at the debt which is the about, chris, i pay for everything i'm proposing. i do not add a penny to the national debt. i take that very seriously because i do think it's one of the issues we've got to come to grips with. so when i talk about how we're going to pay for education, how we're going to invest in infrastructure, how we're going to get the cost of prescription drugs down and a lot of the other issues that people talk to me about all the time, i've made it very clear we are going where
7:29 pm
we are going to ask the wealthy and corporations to pay their fair share and there's no evidence whatsoever that that will slow down or diminish our growth. in fact, just the opposite. we'll have what economists call middle out growth. we have to get back to rebuilding the middle class. the families of america, that's where growth will come from. that's why i want to invest in you. i want to invest in your families. i think that's the smartest way to grow the economy, to economy fairer. and we just have a big disagreement about this. it may be because of our experiences. he started off with his dad as a millionaire. >> we have heard this before. >> my dad was a small business man. >> we have heard this before. >> i think it affects how which see the world and what we want to do with the economy. >> time. >> thank you, hillary. can i respond? >> well, no. >> because i -- >> we're running out of time. >> i did disagree with ronald reagan very strongly on trade. we should have been much tougher
7:30 pm
and frankly now we'll do it right. >> all right. the one last area i want to get into with you in this debate is the fact that the biggest driver of our debt is entitlements which is 60% of all federal spending. the committee for responsible federal budget has looked at both of your plans and they say neither of you has a serious plan that is going to solve the fact that medicare's going to run out of money in the 2020s, social security will run out of money in the 2030 time, recipients are going to take huge cuts in their benefits. so in effect, the final question i want to ask you this question in this regard is, mr. trump, would you make a deal to save medicare and social security that included both tax increases and benefit cuts in effect a grand bargain on entitlements? >> i'm cutting taxes, we're going to grow the economy. it will grow at a record rate. >> that's not going to help in
7:31 pm
repeal and replace the disaster known as obamacare. it is destroying our country. it is destroying our businesses, small businesses and our big businesses. we have to repeal and replace obamacare. you take a look at the kind of numbers that that will cost us in the year '17. it's disaster. if we don't repeal and replace. it's probably going to die of its own weight. but obamacare has to go. it's -- the premiums are going up 60, 70, 80%. next year over 100%. i'm glad that the premiums -- at least the people see what happens because she wants to make it even worse and it can't get any worse. bad health care at the most expensive price. we have to repeal and replace obamacare. >> and secretary clinton, same question. because at this point, social security and medicare are going to run out, the trust funds are going to run out of money.
7:32 pm
entertain -- will you consider a grand bargain, a deal that includes both tax increases and benefit cuts to try to save both programs? >> well, chris, i'm on record as saying that we need to put more money in the social security trust fund. that's part of my commitment to raise taxes on the wealthy. my social security, payroll contribution will go up as will donald's, assuming he can't figure out how to get out of it. but what we want to do is to >> such a nasty woman. >> -- by making sure that we have sufficient resources that will come from raising the cap or finding other ways to get more money into it. i will not cut benefits. i want to enhance benefits for low income workers and for women who have been disadvantaged by the current social security system. but what donald is proposing with these massive tax cuts will
7:33 pm
additional national debt. that will have dire consequences for social security and medicare. i'll say something about the affordable care act which he wants to repeal. it extended the solvency of the medicare trust fund. so if repeals it, the problem gets worse. >> your husband disagrees with you. >> we have to get costs down, increase value and emphasize wellness. i have a plan for get entitlement spending under control with more resources. >> this is the final time probably to both of your delight that you're on the stage together in this campaign. i would like to end it on a positive note. you had not agreed to closing statements, but it seems to me in a funny way it may make it more interesting because you haven't prepared closing statements. we'll put a clock up, a minute, as the final question and the final debate, to tell the
7:34 pm
elect you to be the next president. this is another new minisegment. mrs. clinton, you may go first. >> i would like to say to everyone watching tonight that i'm reaching out to all americans, democrats, republicans, independents, because we need everybody to help make our country what it should be. to grow the economy, to make it fairer, to make it work for everyone. we need your talents, skills, your commitments, your energy and your ambition. i have been privileged to be the -- to see the presidency up close. i know the awesome responsibility of protecting our country and the incredible opportunity of working to try to make life better for all of you. i have made the cause of children and families really my life's work. that's what my mission will be in the presidency. i will stand up for families against powerful interests, against corporations. i will do everything that i can
7:35 pm
your kids have good educations from preschool through college. i hope you will give me a chance to serve as your president. >> secretary clinton, thank you. mr. trump. >> she's raising the money from the people she wants to control. doesn't work that way. but when i started this campaign, i started it very strongly, it's called make america great again. we're going to make america great. we have a depleted military. it has earth in our military. we don't take care of our veterans. we take care of illegal immigrants people that come into the country illegally better than we take care of our vets that can't happen. our policemen and women are disrespected. we need law and order and we need justice too. our inner cities are a disaster. you get shot walking to the store, they have no education, they have no jobs. i will do more for african-americans and latinos
7:36 pm
lifetimes. all she's done is talk to the lifetimes and to the latinos but they get the vote, they come back and say, see you in four years. we are going to make america strong again and we are going to make america great again and it has to start now. we cannot take four more years of barack obama and that's what you get with her. >> thank you both. hold on a moment, folks. secretary clinton, mr. trump, thank you for both for participating, in all three of these debates. that bri commission on presidential debates. we want to thank the university of las vegas for having us. while millions have already voted, election day, november 8th, is just 20 days away. one thing everyone can agree on -- we hope you go vote. it is one of the honors and obligations of living in this
7:37 pm
>> well, it was billed as the final debate, but there might have been two debates here tonight. there was the first 30 minutes that could be described as subdued. then there was the next hour. not so subdued. this is lester holt along with chuck todd, savannah guthrie and tom brokaw as we begin to discuss what just happened there. especially in the last hour of the debate. chuck? >> well, look, overall, this was the closest thing we had to the there was issue questions, there was issue back and forth. so there was moments there where it almost felt like a normal presidential election. and the first 30 minutes in many ways if you're a republican running down the ballot, you were thrilled because it was the supreme court and it was sort of the putting the stakes of why this is important for republicans to get out the vote, so if you're a down ballot
7:38 pm
that trump didn't have a bad first 30 minutes. but i have to tell you that hillary clinton had substance in every answer. had sort of detailed policy proposals she would talk about. he would answer every question -- 10% of the answer would sound good in the moment. i think it's going to not go over well with the fact checkers. it's not going to play well the next day. because he would almost say a good line and then repeat it over and over again. he didn't substance. so i think it might look and feel good in moment, but it may not survive for him. >> one of the more memorable lines was that nasty woman at the end. >> he interjects he leans into the microphone and says such a nasty woman. such a nasty woman. i think that will be a moment that people look back at this debate. i mean, look, if you don't like hillary clinton, if you were in
7:39 pm
probably saying, amen to the tv and cheering right then. but this is a candidate who has a deficit with women. who needs republican moderate women to come over into his corner. and it just -- it was so striking to see him actually go there. it's not a substantive -- >> of all questions to do it on, like on social security and medicare. like what are -- it was bizarre. >> there was another moment that people will be talking about, and we have for the last week trump talk about the legitimacy of the election voter fraud. the question was put to him about whether he'd accept the outcome. not the first time this question has been asked. we put a couple of the moments together. let's play it and talk about it. >> do you make the same commitment that you will absolutely, sir, that you'll absolutely accept the result of this election? >> i will look at it at the time. i'm not looking at anything now. i'll look at it at the time.
7:40 pm
prepared now -- >> what i'm saying is i'll tell you at the time. i'll keep you in suspense. >> let me respond to that, chris. that's horrifying. every time that donald thinks things are not going in his direction he claims whatever it is is rigged against him. >> let's put that in perspective now. in the first debate the same question was asked and trump's answer was if she wins i will absolutely support her. a few hours ago before the debate his running mate governor pence said on cnn will certainly accept the election. let me bring in nicolle wallace who worked in the bush white house and the mccain campaign. when you heard that, what did you think of november 8th and 9th and the days beyond? >> well, my stomach sort of sank for those people who have improved upon donald trump's
7:41 pm
this was by his first performance and it was her best performance. he by refusing to say he'd accept the results of the election on november 8th, he may have laid down in his own coffin with a hammer and nail and pounded it in himself. no voter wants to hear that a participant who has been very -- he won the primary. how could the primary have not been rigged against him if he won so overwhelmingly? to say that he will not accept the results of a hard fought and robust election where he's been pretty closen very recently is really -- just a disqualifying statement in the views of many voters and the tragedy for his base of support which is very agitated and very sort of anxious to see him do better is they got that improved performance on questions like trade. they will like what they heard from him on the economy. and they will like from his other answers. but saying he won't accept the results of the election that was just a lights out moment in american politics. >> all right.
7:42 pm
i want to go now to john podesta, the campaign chairman. thank you for joining us in the spin room. i do not hear you. can you -- mr. podesta, do you hear me now? >> i can hear you. >> yeah, we have you now. i apologize for that. give me your sense of what we just saw here. the low moments and the high moments for you. >> well, look, i think hillary came in safe. she went right at -- two things. one is to make the case about what she wanted to do for the economy. on immigration. on those sections that were on issues i think she really soared tonight. she also wanted to make the case that he was unprepared an unfit. and i think that answer that nicole just talked about he
7:43 pm
it, was a low moment for trump. >> i have to ask you, the first half hour of the debate, donald trump came out rather subdued. what did you think at that moment? did you think you had a much different debate than the one you planned for? >> i think because chris started off with issues on the supreme court, perhaps he threw donald trump off his game plan. obviously that was an issue that hillary was familiar with. i think she scored big with standing up for defending reproductive rights. standing up for lgbt rights. but i think he was a little bit rattled in that section because he didn't really know what he wanted to talk about. but he was definitely a different donald trump. but he really got cranked up at the end. he ended when chris gave him that last minute to give a closing argument, and he kind of ended where he began this campaign in a very dark place.
7:44 pm
an overall point of view that beginning with your debate, and at the end of three debates we have a very good idea about who these candidates are, what they represent, what their feelings are, how they'd conduct themselves. i think that's very important and there are a lot of republicans who are holding their hands over their heads saying, he didn't go back to saying he would have to look at the election again, did he? because they have all walked away from that. detail -- in terms of detail on tax reform, for example. obamacare, the supreme court. i thought that donald trump nipped her on taking money from the foundation for saudi arabia, but by and large, if you look at two candidates one had a very strong agenda, acutely argued and the other one is doing from what we have been seeing, going back over the phrases.
7:45 pm
>> a question from chuck todd. >> i know it's disconcerting to see all of your private e-mails suddenly be made public, but let me ask you this question. the public is going -- is digesting this. is reading these e-mails. they see sort of the sausage making of watching a campaign decide okay, do we run -- how far to the left do we run, how far to the center? what should voters take away from what they're reading about? i know you them, but there's a general sense that they're learning that okay, what is she? is she a centrist, a progressive? is she calculating? what should voters learn from this? >> you know, the last time we were in las vegas for a debate was in the primaries and she got the question about where are you on the political spectrum, she's a progressive who likes to get results. that's what i admire about hillary.
7:46 pm
rights, children's rights for families across the country. but she's a person who delivers results and gets results. she operates in prose i guess. but she's a person who really studies the issues. she prepared for this debate. she took this seriously. i think to some extent in contrast to her opponent, and when she's in office she'll do the same thing. work on behalf of the american people and get results. >> all right. john podesta, thanks for making some time for us. we appreat >> we will continue our coverage
7:47 pm
?? before it became a medicine, it was an idea. a wild "what-if." so scientists went to work. they examined 87 different protein structures and worked for 12 long years. there were thousands of patient volunteers and the hope of millions. and so after it became a medicine, someone who couldn't be cured, me.
7:48 pm
7:49 pm
decision night in america -- nbc news brings you unparalleled coverage. join lester holt, savannah guthrie and chuck todd, live november 8th, for decision night in america on nbc. look -- >> wait -- >> everything i see has no respect for this person. >> well, that's because he'd rather have a puppet as president. >> no puppet. no puppet. >> and it's pretty clear -- >> you're the puppet. >> vladimir putin and russia, the first of many flash points
7:50 pm
the last debate between hillary clinton and donald trump. we want to go to the spin room now. katy tur is there. after every other debate, trump has declared himself the winner. what's the sense you're get? >> the campaign is pretty happy with his performance. especially early on when he was able to get to the decisions around potus. who he would choose for the supreme court. appointing conservative judges. what did not come up and what we expected to see come up more was about benghazi. we noted earlier on that the benghazi victim's mother pat smith was invited. and there was -- between her and hillary clinton on stage. hitting her on her foreign policy. that did not happen. there were also a number of easily fact checked contradictions that trump gave, one his iraq war stance and the other -- that does believe that
7:51 pm
arabia should get nuclear weapons, he did say that in the past. all in all, a better debate performance than trump has had that the past. >> if you take this as a whole, how did -- realizing the pressure is on donald trump tonight, how did he do in the previous debate? >> overall his best performance, but as nicole he stepped on himself. every newspaper headline is breaking news, donald trump says he won't -- isn't ready to accept the results. and remember -- wait and see. >> there's the headlines. >> there's what every republican -- and here's the thing, tom. every republican on the ballot tomorrow is going to get asked, are you going to accept the results -- >> by the way, was it the second debate or your debate that he would put her in jail if he
7:52 pm
president. would have her -- put her in jail in the second debate. >> in the first debate he'd support her, and then jail her in the second debate. >> he's contradicting well not only himself but his daughter. his running mate and the republican secretary of state from around the country who say we run these elections. we are telling you there's not voter fraud that would imperil the that's part of the problem he has, he's swimming against the tide of the argument. >> let's go to andrea mitchell she has been following the clinton campaign. there was a lot of pressure on trump as being the underdog in the polls and a fair amount of pressure on hillary clinton to hold what she has. how do her folks feel right now? >> well, they're of course saying they feel very confident and actually they do. that her performance was a strong performance.
7:53 pm
her to talk about, which is to try to get trump to disavow vladimir putin to disavow someone supporting russian espionage. that it's a strong likelihood that russia is behind this stealing of the e-mails and the hacking that went to wikileaks. and he refused to back down with what he's done all along, which is not to criticize vladimir putin. also on nuclear on strong ground. this is a first debate that challenged both candidates on their budget and tax proposals. and cited the committee for responsible federal budgets which is the best known arbiter of these things saying that both of them are wrong, but he's far worse than her. it was a substantive debate. she called him to task about the women who accused him of sexual
7:54 pm
them up to it which is the first time he's actually said that. lester? >> andrea mitchell in t ?? we built our factories here because of a huge natural resource. not the land. the water. or power sources. it's the people. american workers. they build world-class products. and that builds communities. and a better future. for all of us.
tv-commercial
7:55 pm
weathertech. proudly made in america. you're not a cook, if you don't cook. you're not a firefighter, if you don't fight fires. or a coach, if you don't coach. and you can't be our leader, if you don't lead. our next president needs to take action on social security, or future generations could lose up to $10,000 a year. we're working hard, what about you?
tv-commercial
7:56 pm
you have -- but what about the idea he's going to look into the results of the election. did that give you pause?
7:57 pm
remember al gore? he contested the election. >> kellyanne conway the campaign manager talking to hallie jackson about one of the big headlines tonight and that's donald trump demurring on whether he'll accept the outcome of the election. tom brokaw, a third debate. typically don't move the needle. >> no, they don't. the way to move he played to her level, more engaging in a personal way. she came on as she always has, going back to her moot court day, extremely well prepared. details on all the proposals she wanted to get to. she got to that very well. you have to remember al gore had 7 million more votes than george bush and it went to the supreme court, when it was over, he wasn't happy about it but i accept it.
7:58 pm
john kerry who felt he was robbed of votes in ohio. there's a long tradition of how ever bitter you may be, you accept it. including nixon against kennedy. >> i'm sure that played well to his base of supporters tonight. >> i think it did, but, you know, this is a case where he may survive debate tonight, and the post debate the next couple of days aren't going to go well for him. >> on that issue. >> how he handles -- and the way other republicans are going t >> and he said the system is rigged, we can't trust the results. that's not an argument for how to win. it's an argument and an explanation for why you lost. that's not where you want to be. >> as we wrap up, the next time we'll see each other at a desk, election night. >> election night. yes. >> one night. >> we're getting there, my friend. >> november 8th. we don't want to go to 9th. >> that's going to do it for our coverage of the third and final presidential debate. much more reaction and analysis on msnbc on cable and on nbcnews.com.
7:59 pm
be together election night, decision night in america, 20 days from now. from our entire team, i'm lester holt, good night from las vegas. . ?? reade? reade? what the hell happened? i didn't do it. i was in the basement, i heard a noise, i came up here, and i found him like this.
8:00 pm
you were harassing him, you broke into his house. i didn'till him. you are standing over his dead body with gloves on your hands and blood on your shoes. innocent people have gone to jail for a lot less. (car engine rumbling) (tires screeching) it's the neighborhood security. we gotta get out of here. did you touch anything? i-i don't think so. did you move anything? no. wait, zapata! this is crazy. we're the fbi. that's gotta count for something. i'm your friend. i believe you. (engine starting) the tape! i left it in the vcr. no! the security guards are in the house. what tape? what were you doing at jones's? i was looking for... i needed proof of the abuse. i found all these tapes with kids' names on 'em.

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on